12.24.2008

Home for the holidays

After working my butt off without a full week off since July, I'm looking forward to just hanging out with the fam and being a normal, non-medical student person for a little while.

I almost always enjoy my ride home...until I'm stuck driving on the "clear" day between two snowstorms (it snowed the entire way) on the same day when people from the southern states are all of a sudden trying to drive in the snow for the first time in who knows how many years. I only saw 4 accidents on the way and they only added 45 minutes to the ride, so it could have been alot worse...

I actually miss the Massachusetts winters. There's a routine that happens around a snowstorm, life slows down a little bit and there's a clear priority to the days affairs: get the snow out of the way and go about life. It's almost automatic, ingrained on my soul from my formative years. It could be 3 inches or 3 feet...life goes on as normal. In NY, life pretty much stops for a few inches of snow, everyone on the roads looses their mind. In DC, it takes about half an inch of the white stuff to cripple the nation's seat of power. I came home to about 6 inches on the ground and then we had about 10 more that fell on top of that...so it's a nice wintery change of pace up here. I've already hit the local ski resort up once which was great, though there's something that seems wrong about skiing corduroy the day after 10" of snow fell (but it's the east coast...I can count the number of days I've skiied powder on one hand).

I haven't really been in my usual holiday spirit this year. I think it's the all consuming nature of school coupled with the girlfriend and family being far away, my classmates being spread all over the tri-state area and my roomate being depressed because his girlfriend moved back home for the forseeable future. Despite my case of the Bah-Humbug's, I spent 6 hours of yesterday shopping for everyone with my youngest brother. I'm almost finished, just the girlfriend's mom and niece to shop for. I have to head up for their traditional Christmas Eve Party, which is always interesting since it's the only time that I interact with her massive extended family. Then it's back home for christmas day and then to upstate NY/Canada for a bachelor weekend including the world famous Dinosaur BBQ, a venture into Canada, the Pats-Bills game...and probably lots of heavy drinking in there too. I imagine we'll probably also end up in a canadian strip club at some point (which is always interesting). Then it's back home for new years in Boston with a few of the college buddies and the GF. Then I have 3 days to recover, ski and get ready for OB/GYN to destroy my sleep cycle/personal life.

Merry Christmas to you all! Until 2009...
~Bostonian

4 comments:

Dragonfly said...

Man I remember OBGYN and my disrupted sleep cycles. Actually, all on call stuff and nights shifts. Heck, medicine in general.

Anonymous said...

You the man Bostonian!

Albinoblackbear said...

So...the question that begs to be asked...How was the skiing???

Or should I be asking about the Canadian strip club?

Glad you are experiencing the finer things our country has to offer...

;)

Dragonfly said...

Dude...come back!