6.21.2007

First Overnight shift...

7:30 am and I just finished up my first overnight shift in the ED, and surprisingly it didn't suck as much as I thought it would. We (I shouldn't say we because I am basically useless and the docs and nurses do everything) had a couple of shoulder injuries, possible anterior compartment syndrome, a couple CHF, a couple diarrheas and a punctured globe with a bb gun.

Overall, the variety and rapid turnover of cases is what's drawing me to EM. I also like the idea of being able to quickly diagnose whatever comes through the door, getting it to the point where it is under control and then moving the case to whatever service it needs to be admitted to. So far, the residents and attendings that I've worked (read: followed around like a lost puppy) have been more than willing to teach me practical tidbits from how to actually read EKG in a practical setting to some of the pathophysiology that is sorely lacking from the first year of medical school.

Anyway I'm exhausted...

1 comment:

The Lone Coyote said...

The summer after my 1st year I spend a month in a pretty busy family practice clinic and generally felt useless and lost. I had a great attending and I must say that by the end of it, I had learned more than I thought. I just didn't realize it until 2nd year started and I started recognizing a lot of the clinical stuff.