5.22.2007

Convocation of Thanks

We had our Convocation of Thanks ceremony for the familes of our Anatomy Cadaver donors. It was a nice little ceremony that brought a sense of closure for the families and helped them remember their loved one. It also re-cemented my sense of accomplishment for the year. Here's the reflection that I read:

Saying thank you…

Death is one of the few universal experiences of life. It is a time when most typically take time to say goodbye to their families, celebrate their lives, find peace in what is happening, and prepare to meet what awaits them after death. In addition to all of that, you thought about me while you were saying goodbye and made the incredible gift of your body.

When I think about it now, I will never truly have the chance to know you. I will never hear the stories of the sights that your blue eyes saw, nor the many lands where your feet trod. You’ll never be able to share with me the works your hands wrought, nor the thoughts your mind shaped. I’ll never know the children you held in your arms, or the love you held in your heart. I will never even know your name.

We spent a lot of time together in the anatomy lab, and I came to know you very intimately. You taught me things that I could not have learned from anyone else and that knowledge will go on to help countless others. If you could only know the profound impact that you have had on me and the mark that your gift will leave on the world, you would be doubly proud of your decision. I am forever in your debt.

I may not be able to properly thank you for all that you have given me, but in remembering your gift and celebrating it with your family today, we can honor it.

Thank you.

No comments: